Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Ready to Run!


When I tell people here in Dhaka I'm training for a marathon the response is usually, 'here?!  with this air quality?" or "and you actually run outside?"  I'm not going to pretend that marathon training in Dhaka has been easy. Yes, the air quality is terrible.  The worst, actually. And that is not an exaggeration.  The EPI ranks Bangladesh second to last for air quality effects on health, only worse than India and just better than Nepal and Pakistan. Combined with the pollution is the fact that it is extremely hot. Temperatures in the 90's every day that 'feels like' 115 with the humidity.  Dhaka is close to the same latitude line as Cuba if that gives you a comparison.  Then there is the issue of wearing weather appropriate clothing when outside.  In Cuba, runners  are wearing running shorts and tank tops (or at least I imagine so), here it's 3-quarter length pants and a t-shirt. Finally, the outdoor runner in Dhaka must deal with traffic. Not just cars, but also rickshaws, CNGs, and many pedestrians; there very few sidewalks but these are not options due to the trees and power lines (see right). We won't get into the odors of the streets.  One of my first long training runs in Dhaka I planned to go at 6am on a Friday (when it would be less hot and crowded).  No and No.  Apparently humidity starts at sunrise and it is always crowded in the capital of the most densely populated country on the planet.


There are also challenges that come with marathon training regardless of the location. Sore muscles, dehydration headaches, blisters, chafing, proper hydration on the long run and where to store all of the running accessories for 3+ hour runs (iPod, 3 GUs, water, running watch, sunglasses, sweatbands, etc).  I've developed my own strategies for dealing with these issues.

When training for marathons in the US (many moons ago) I remember discussing with interested folks about my training and describing the biggest challenge being the change in lifestyle.  Not only does one need to dedicate 3+ hours to the weekend to the long run and find time to run 5 days (or up to 40 some miles) per week there's also the rest and recovery time. More running, sleeping, and eating.  It seemed like a part time job.   Little did I know it would be much easier to train then compared to 6 years later in South Asia, right?

Wrong.   

Did you forget the tag line of this blog?  I live large in Asia, figuratively. Though I generally work 10 hr days (8am to 6pm) I have, what seems like, more time on my hands as compared to when I was in DC. Though some days I do long for the lush rock creek park/beach road with potable water fountains, I would choose more time to train with crazy hot, polluted, and crowded over a beautiful trail but less time to use it.  My lungs did not get a vote. 

Last weekend I did my last long run of 21 miles (4 laps of a 5.25 mile loop in the diplomatic enclave) and have declared myself trained!  Bring on that Wall!!  http://www.great-wall-marathon.com/Default.aspx





1 comment:

  1. andie, andie, andie! that is way too cool (the great wall marathon). i'm proud of you and cannot wait to hear how it goes!! (how it went?)

    ReplyDelete