Friday, December 9, 2011

New Tag Line

I consider myself a pretty average build. 5'5'' and 125 lbs (okay,fine. Really closer to 130. . .I am female after all). However, I always feel tall when coming to this side of the world. It's very common that when I pile into an elevator full of Bangladeshi men I can see the tops of every one's head. Having traveled and worked in Asia previously I was ready for this feeling when I moved. So really I should have known better when trying on a kameez (shirt) this weekend in a local store. I should have known not to try on the size small that is. What can I say it was habit. I asked to try on the top (or as we say here 'go for trial') and found it way to tight across the back of my shoulders. No big deal, I think, they also had a medium. But the top did not come off as easily as it went on. I had crossed my arms in front of me and pulled either edge of the top up, but it would not budge above my chest leaving me standing in the 'trial room' with my arms up above my head turning in circles. sigh. After a short wrestling match with this top I decided to call in the sales assistant. this was no easy decision as showing the upper portion of your arms can be considered too much skin in this country. In the end, she helped me out and I ended up taking home the same top in a size Large. I live large in Asia. Literally.

I also live large in Asia in the figurative sense. I have a nice flat, go to a tailor regularly, have a cleaner/cook who comes 5 half-days per week, and access to a vehicle and driver to take me anywhere I'd like to go. This weekend I moved up to a new level of living large. . .US Commissary privileges. Heaven in Dhaka. Yes, it is the size of a 7-eleven in the US but it is quite comprehensive. Today I made my first trip there buying whole wheat bread (the last loaf, score!), Cheerios, string cheese, Quaker oats, Digiorno pizza (if you know me at all you know I love it), lunch meat turkey, and so much more! Not all expats in Dhaka have access to the Commissary - so I learned - so the passbook is true, I am a 'privileged persons.'

And there you have it, the new tag line of 'TheAndie' - I live large in Asia literally and figuratively.

1 comment:

  1. "Is it delivery?" Fantastic posts! I can really see you there!

    ReplyDelete