I've never been a very good at tennis. Some middle school gym class, playing with friends and family here and there, and being semi-athletic I could hit the ball over the net more than 50% of the time. Armed with a new racket (thanks Tommy Gio!) I started 'lessons' in Dhaka at the ARA and learned my swing has been 'wrong' all these years. Tennis is one of the things to do here and if there were ever a time to learn to play, this might as well be it. My goal is to return after 9 months of tennis in Dhaka sending shock waves through Poling family vacation matches with my Venus Williams-esque skills complete with lightning bolt tennis attire, braids and beads. Oh yeah, I could rock it.
So we begin. January, first 'lessons.' I put the word in quotes because a lesson means you reserve a court and request a marker who hits around with you giving pointers depending on your skill level. I've had about four lessons so far. My favorite marker is Shafique who has such joy and surprise in his voice when I hit a half-way decent shot. Yesterday he said "madame, you never do right, but today you do okay."
Family vacay get ready.
Madame Poling: In my book, you always do right. Thank you for making me laugh out loud in my Bogota hotel room. Miss you so.
ReplyDelete