Wednesday, October 24, 2012

525,600 Minutes

Five hundred, twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes
Five hundred, twenty-five thousand, moments so dear
Five hundred, twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?

In daylights?  In sunsets? In midnights, in cups of coffee? 
In inches?  In miles? In laughter in strife?
In, five-hundred, twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes
How do you measure, a year in the life?

You probably know the song, you probably know the musical, RENT, and you've probably thought about how years are measured: birthdays, Christmases, Pohela Boishaka, or rosh hashanah.  On October 6, 2012 I celebrated one year as an inhabitant of Dhaka - happy anniversary Bangladesh!  So how have I measured the last year?  Well lets see, what did I do in the last year. . .probably sent at least 10,543 e-mails, read 14 books, bought two saris, 25 runs with the Dhaka mixed Hash, had 683 cups of tea, and about 27 dates with Jillian Michaels.   The song from RENT goes on. . 

How about, love?
How about, love?
How about, love?
Measure in love.
Seasons of love. 

In addition to my love of kitchuri, I've been lucky enough to celebrate the love of several friends during the time it has taken our planet to make one revolution around the sun. 

Jenny and Danny, July 21, 2012
Jenny and I met in DC and shared many a morning runs and margaritas. The photos is from her 'blessing ceremony' on her family dock in Minnesota.  Wedding highlights: experiencing the Kel-Klan cabins and Rainy Lake that I've heard so much about for the past years; a sign above the bride and groom during the reception of "Jenny and Danny, live long and prosper;" and a wedding party/family flash mob at the reception.   


Kirstin and Eric, September 2, 2012
Kirstin and I were roommates in DC. As a husband/wife combo in DC we shared a happy home for many years but I'll be the first to say she traded up :)  They had so many gorgeous wedding photos but this one makes me smile. No, they're not Jewish. Wedding highlights: see sentence above; processional song of Sweet Child O Mine played by a string quartet combined with a first dance to Darius Rucker; and staying a night at Kirst's family beach house in Rhode Island. 


Crystal and Josh, October 6, 2012
Crystal and I met in DC while we were both working at Chemonics. She's since moved back, back to Cali, Cali she and Josh are my favorite West coast couple. They were married in a beautiful garden with sounds of the Pacific crashing in the background by our friend Tanya who was the deputy wedding commissioner for the state of California for the day. Wedding highlights: though unable to be seen in the photo, Charlie, the dog was present at the wedding with a yellow bow tie; Portuguese square dance;  and amazing barbecue.  

Kasey and Chuck, October 13, 2012
Kasey and I met in elementary school circa 1989.  It's funny to think we've been friends for 23 years and shared so many adventures from high school sports to the Ohio State Fair and the butter cow and calf. Wedding highlights: homemade pumpkin ale for the wedding day; a banjo bluegrass band; a mini high school reunion; and corn hole. 

Evalee Rae Daniels, born July 31, 2012
While in Ohio, I got to meet this bundle of love, Evalee. She's the daughter of my best good friend since first grade, Abby and her hubby Josh. Abs and I have been friends through terrible bowl cut bangs, high school sports, 21st birthdays, road trips, and now (gulp) adulthood. With awesome parents like Evalee's, I can only imagine what art and garden projects are in store for this little one; she's going to have one heck of a childhood.  Baby Evs highlights:  her; her swing/spaceship; her; stopping in to Abby's parents house where there are so many good memories of playing Balderdash, sleepovers, and pizza before the football game; her; and her. 

4 weddings of dear friends + baby Evs = a whole lot of love in 525,600 minutes. Three more months to go in Dhaka, or 129,600 minutes.  Not sure that number will make a hit song but I'll measure them in love. 

1 comment:

  1. Let's just say it. You win the award for wedding attendant MVP. You don't say it here, somehow in miraculous, humble, Andie style, but you were IN all of these weddings.

    And I'll bet you were MVP of all of the weddings you were in. You traveled to a wedding once per quarter. What?? Awesome.

    Thank you. For me it made the moments that much more special, the weekend MUCH more memorable, the experience more calm and fulfilling, and the love bubbled over.

    Love, your hubby/wife always, Kirstin

    ReplyDelete